Thread: Other Fiction Joyce, James: Ulysses v.2 Jan 2011
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Yeah - I didn't attempt to proofread the Gutenberg version - after reading Wikipedia about all the controversies on screwed up revisions and failed attempts at a 'perfect' copy of Ulysses I decided it might be best not to throw my hat into that ring. I'll leave it to the academics.

Gutenberg is based off the original printing (the only variant out of copyright), not sure how accurate the proofreading of the OCR conversion is, but according to Wikipedia the original edition contains several thousand errors, yet is still considered by some to be more accurate than later editions.
I don't believe that the Gutenberg version is based on the original 1921 edition printed by Librairie Shakespeare in Paris, because the paper version I bought is supposed to be that, and has end notes to correct the typesetting errors. The MR version I am reading has corrected at least some of these errors (I didn't check them all of course). What I am talking about are simple and very avoidable OCR errors such as "Ill" becoming "111". Which is at least readable, contrary to the paying Penguin version where "the" is sometimes replaced with "die", and believe me it's really hard to make sense of a sentence when that happens

Also, James Joyce died in 1941, so all his books are in the public domain in countries where copyright is life+50, and will be in the public domain very soon in life+70 countries (or is it already? I don't know if it starts in 2011 or 2012). But I know it's different in the U.S.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote