View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #190
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3
I am working on a DIY light hack using the powered apertures on the left side of the kindle 3. I don't have access to an authentic kindle cover that has the nifty hooks for reference, however. Could someone post a high resolution, head-on picture of each of the clips with a mm scale included? From that, I can back hack the shape of the clips in sheet steel or something similar.
I found the image below and managed to use that to create a working lower clip, but the angle of the photo and quality of the image are preventing me from making a properly shaped upper clip.

Here's an example of what I need to work from. Note that the plane of the lens is parallel to the plane of the object. That is to say, nothing is slanty. Also note that the ruler with a mm scale is clearly visible and close to the object. Using an image like that, I can work out a template that I can use to craft a clip from.

If you are interested in making your own light hack this information might be useful to you:
  • Available Voltage: ~4V
  • Top port is positive
  • Lower port has two fingers that must both be raised

This schematic uses 3mm white LEDs for an almost blindingly bright light and draws around .2mA. Substitute 500-1000 ohm resistors all around to provide a more subtle light that only draws around 0.01mA.

If you have any brilliant ideas to move this project along, I'd love to hear them. Most of all, I need a photo or a rendering of the clips so I can sculpt my own.

For help designing LED arrays check out this fantastic page: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
txoof is offline   Reply With Quote