View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #299
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Yeah, can't recomment doing this highly enough - well now that I know "how" which I didn't originally. Apart from the user friendliness factor it also means you don't have to restart Calibre every time the user makes a configuration change.

At least now you have plenty of examples from my plugins of what you need to do, I was fumbling in the dark. If people want it I may add a post of some "development tips" to the Introduction sticky covering topics like this.
Yeah, your examples helped a lot to say the least. But only being okay in python meant I was still fumbling quite a bit. I can clearly see how you are handling things now, but I started with basic stuff since I couldn't quite grasp what you had - until I built mine up enough to realize what you were doing and why.

Developer tips would be greatly welcome. I struggled with even figuring out how to reference a specific variable until Kovid pointed out where it was in the code. And I'm still not sure if you can import more than one .py source file from the zip file (so I just dumped it into one file). You're right that the code is the best place to look though. However, sometimes its overwhelming and there's a big difference between what epub editing and search the internet needs. Your approach to try to structure it into copyable code is great - now I just need to revisit mine.