View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamante View Post
Out of curiosity, I just used eReader eBook Studio to take a look at the PML generated during the conversion process for an e-book that I'm currently reading. ... in eBook Studio they are plainly visible as two blank lines, ... You mentioned that soft scene breaks are currently not supported for eReader input; pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that the PML file is generated at a stage prior to eReader input?
Conversion is a three stage process: Input -> OEB -> Output. The input format is read and converted to OEB (what is inside an EPUB file and consists of XHTML, CSS and some control files). Depending on a few factors (such as having heuristic processing enabled) the OEB is then further manipulated. The OEB is then given to the output generator and it transforms the OEB into the output format.

When I said that soft scene breaks are not supported in PDB (eReader) input I mean that literally. The PML is extracted from the PDB file and then the attributes are read and transformed into XHTML equivalents. This is harder than it sounds especially because PML is a pseudo fixed layout format. Soft scene breaks at this point are just ignored. They are not transformed into any XHTML or retained in any way.

Quote:
Also, if I add an eReader PDB to Calibre and convert it first to EPUB and then to MOBI and possibly other formats, does Calibre always go back to the PMLZ to do each conversion?
In the upper left of the conversion screen you can select which format you want to use for the source format.

Quote:
By the way, can you recommend a better application than eBook Studio for editing PML files?
Nope. Other than using a plain text editor, eBook Studio is the only dedicated PML editor I know of. PDB (eReader) and PML are a dying format and have been quickly supplanted by EPUB.

Quote:
... the earlier versions of eReader for Windows, as well as the Palm OS versions, displayed the soft scene breaks I describe above as three asterisks...
What ldolse and I are planning is to retain soft scene breaks as soft scene breaks but have a heuristic option (I think he's already added it) that will transform them into hard scene breaks.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote