View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #7974
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Did a quick nostalgic re-read of my old copies of the last three books of Rick Cook's Wiz Biz series (#1 & #2 available in the Baen Free Library, and recommended).

Nice light comedy fun which is probably even more comedic and funnier if one knows more about computers and software startups. The Comdex trip was as hilarious as remembered.

It's a shame Cook's health broke down and he was unable to finish The Wizardry Capitalized, which sounds like it would have been an awesome spoof of the dot-com bubble era, but he did put up what he managed to get started up on a website and maybe one day he'll be able to complete it.

More paper reads, catching up:

A Marked Man, 2nd in the future-First Lady Abigail Adams historical sleuth series by "Barbara Hamilton", pseudonym of one of my favourite sf/fantasy/historical/mystery authors.

I liked this even more than the first in the series, possibly because now the characters are more established and familiar, and possibly because also this time the primary victim is someone who thoroughly had it coming to him, which tends to be more satisfying (although it's a shame other less-deserving people got murdered on the way).

I'm very pleased that there will be a third in the series and hope it continues to pick up sales and sequels. In case you were wondering, this == recommend.

Dreadnought, 2nd in Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century post-apocalyptic-alternate-history-steampunk-with-zombies series, which was from the library.

Entertaining enough, I think this was the "train caper" of the lot. I didn't find it as compelling as Boneshaker, which I rather enjoyed, possibly because the protagonist's "mission" seemed rather less urgent and maybe also because the conclusion, while it wrapped up the main plot thread, was kind of open-ended. There's a bit more about the origin of the zombies, or maybe just their spread, in this book. Apparently I live not that far across the border from a horrible zombifying mountain of DOOOM!

Mildly recommended if you like steampunk, zombies, alternate history, alternate steampunk zombie history, or just enjoyed the first book and want to find out more. Doesn't really stand out much on anything other than that, unfortunately.

A second recent paper purchase, finally got around to reading Tanya Huff's The Truth of Valor, 5th in her Confederation series of decidedly Canadian-flavoured MilSF*.

A fun adventure that's kind of a busman's holiday for Torin Kerr, who's trying to take a break after the spoiler-tastic developments of the previous two books. We get to see a bit more of the non-military (though occasionally militant) societies in the setting. Some contrast of the benefits of co-operation and group solidarity versus the drawbacks of laissez-faire rugged individualism.

Recommended for anyone wanting a different viewpoint on military space opera than most of the more standard series might have. Also anyone just plain looking for light fun action/adventure.

Now back to reading on the Kindle: I've got a slew of Sherlock Holmes mashups from the library to finish.

* Not to be confused with MILFSF, which is kind of what Heinlein wrote in his later days.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote