View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
SanFranMatt
SanFranMatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
In regards to all of this being obsolete in a couple years, I disagree (for my purposes).

When I first wanted an MP3 player 4 years ago, I chose the Dell Digital Jukebox over the ipod because it was over $100 cheaper and it had 16 hours of battery life (I think Ipod had about 7-8 at the time). The main purpose for this was so that I can bring my entire cd catalog to work and listen at my desk, and I still use it to this day. It's obsolete in technology terms, but it still functions well and is put to great use.

My computer (a Dell) was purchased over 6 years ago. The hard drive crashed twice (and were replaced), I added more ram, a dvd recorder and an LCD laptop (free from work), but the computer still works very well. 6 years is beyond ancient in computer terms, but my system works too well for me to replace it. I keep thinking "one more year and I'll get a new one", but after a year I still have no need for a new one.

So while my version of the ereader (500 model) will be obsolete in a couple years, I'm confident that it will still function for its main purpose: to read books on. I'm confident that in 5 or 10 years, I'll still be able to buy a new book and put it on the device. Maybe it won't be in sony's format, but I'll have software that can convert it with ease.
SanFranMatt is offline   Reply With Quote