View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #7832
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Finished Stupid Christmas, by Leland Gregory, one of three recent Kindle freebies compiled by him. It's a collection of Xmas-related odd/heartwarming news stories, detailed in brief blurbs. Funniest of the lot was the one that went with this holiday display:
Quote:
A narrative that accompanied the image explained that Santa had lost his legs when they got entangled in power lines during an alcoholic binge and that the sadistic tree is planning on stealing the money in the Salvation Army kettle and visiting a strip club.

A December 4, 2008, article from United Press International quoted library director Darren McDonough as saying that the display would remain in place during the holiday season and to “Remember the old library saying—‘If we don’t have something to offend you, we’re not doing our job.’”
Not gonna lie, the sadistic tree part of the backstory is brilliant.

It's interesting to note that the formatting on these books seems to have gotten worse as they were released freebie. First in the set, Stupid History, was beautifully done, with chapter marks for each and every single little "story" (and there were over a hundred of them). This one is okay, layout and typography pretty good, but no chapter marks whatsoever. The third one, Stupid US History, is a Topaz.

Anyway, mildly amusing, but nothing I'd pay money for.

Currently still on the non-fiction book about cousins George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm of England, Russia, and Germany respectively, but taking a break from that to finish up reading Medicus, a current freebie Roman historical sleuth by Ruth Downie because the sequel is currently on sale for 99 cents in various stores.

I kind of want to see how she manages to wrap up the situation before I spend, though I'll probably buy it anyway, just to encourage such publisher tie-in discounts.

So far, the actual story's been mildly interesting and I like the main character, but the Kindle edition is riddled with lots of missing punctuation, some superfluous hyphens, a few substituted characters, and other OCR-type scanning errors.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote