View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #74
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
You can't purchase software via download, burn it on to a disc and sell it.
Provided I don't keep a copy for myself, actually, I can. I am legally entitled to resell my software. That may or may not be the case in your jurisdiction.

Quote:
Nor can you sell it to someone via email.
Why ever not?

Quote:
You can resell a physical book, but you can not copy the text in that book, then run it off on a printing press and sell it.
Well, no, but that's because that'd be in violation of copyright and a copy of the book only exists in paper form. Where this is not the case, however, such as with (download-only) software, there's no corresponding obligation.

Quote:
You get a service, and that service is the communication of instructions to your own little version of an electronic printing press that writes the information on physical media that you own.
That is a very narrow view that heavily favors publishers' rights. I have not seen a legal scholar take up that position so far (they all seem to think it's software), and of course it's not been tested in court yet. And I agree with that assessment, it's obviously "software" for all intents and purposes: a set of instructions that displays certain results on your device based on user input.

Quote:
If you feel that service is less valuable than a physical book, fine.
I think it's software, not a service, but yes, less valuable (and less expensive to produce) than a physical book. Consequently I am not prepared to pay the same price for it.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote