View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #7773
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Just finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies fame (or notoriety). Story was okay, but nothing really much, relating everything about Lincoln's life and death to the vampires in an explaining-the-"recovered"-diary style.

The most interesting thing about it was the structure, interspersing regular dramatized recreational recounting with faux-journal entries and faux-reportage, along with real Lincoln quotes underneath the chapter headings. And footnotes and fake pictures, which were kind of fun.

But it was done very choppily, with what amounts to jump-editing from one style to the next, which made for a rather disjointed read. Would have been better if they'd done less frequent transitions and balanced the narrative more.

I'd actually be moderately interested to see how it looks in ebook format, since this really is one of those sorts of books that would benefit from the extra formatting available with embedded fonts and the like (paper version used different styles of old-fashioned serif, typewriter, and "regular" fonts to distinguish journal entries and such).

In any case, a mildly entertaining read that's best picked up from the library if interested, but I wouldn't have spent my own money upon it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote