View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #35
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Kiari,

You made the right choice. I am also in Canada and was very frustrated by US only Sony/Amazon (I know Sony is going to UK soon but that still doesn't help us).
I find that Cybook has all the major features of Sony/Kindle (I said major, lacks some nice-to-haves) but seems to be more open.

There might be some workarounds for purchasing books from Sony/Amazon stores, but it is just too much wasted effort. It is just as easy to purchase Mobipocket books for Cybook AND we have more online bookstores to choose from = better competition.

As for Sony falling behind Kindle, I am not so sure. All those Kindle features come with a price"
Wireless access = shorter battery runtime
Keyboard, big buttons = bigger device
more $
etc.

I find my Cybook right at the threshold of being a small pocketish device that I can carry around easily. I would think that a bigger devices like Iliad and Kindle would not fit in a pocket, even a larger one. Iliad has a bigger screen, so it makes a good tradeoff. But Kindle adds size for a keyboard that is used 10% of the time?!?!?! Dumb. Provide a USB keyboard or a sliding one like Nokia does. In any case keyboard should never increase dimensions when not in use.

Wireless is nice, especially for non-geeks. Still, I'd have a hard time finding an eReader user with no access to a computer that has USB. I don't really find file transfer via USB that difficult. As a bonus it charges Cybook so I don't need a separate charger. At first I though it was odd, but then realized it is a great feature as I have too many gizmos with their chargers.

No Kindle will not become the dominant player, at least not with that price tag. PRS/Cybook will remain the front runners along Kindle catering to a different more geekish audience. It will be akin to PC/Mac race.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote