View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Pretty much, yes.

The new models (AFAIK, 602, 603, 902, 903) have switched ABIs, which are a fundamental part of how the operating system fits together, to ARM EABI. That alone meant they can't run programs compiled for earlier firmwares. I handled this by making my virtual machine (emulated with qemu) use the same ARM EABI as the 903.

I use qemu to emulate the ARM processor family the PocketBook uses, so that my development platform itself need not use a cross compiler. This makes it easier, but slower, to build libraries and such. On the plus side, qemu is portable, and this allows development on non-x86 machines. The downside is that the e-ink emulation library in the SDK was for x86, and thus does not run in my qemu environment.

The idea was to use qemu to create a virtual computer similar enough to the PocketBook that programs could be copied from one to the other. This since I can easily install development tools in the virtual computer, but not quite so easily in the PocketBook.

The poterm in this case is Pocketbook terminal. I'm not sure if it is related to the serial terminal program poterm; it was found in the pocketbook-free collection of programs for the pocketbook readers. I chose it because it may be useful, was easy to build, and was missing from the presupplied extra programs in my 903.

Later on I will probably achieve customizations (such as pdfviewer with pen panning) or ports (such as Simon Tatham's puzzles or Xournal).

Last edited by LoneTech; 01-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote