View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fking View Post
I've got bunch of doc, pdf, txt files in cyrillic which i want to convert to epub and enjoy on my nexus one with Aldiko reader.

I tried converting them by using cp1251 and UTF-8 for the character encoding field in Calibre, but they always open unreadable in Aldiko.

So, from here i don't have idea what to do. What would be to best practice to convert all kinds of cyrillic files into epub and read them normally?
Most of the e-book readers do not support Cyrillic letters. Therefore in order to properly render those texts in EPUB format you need to embed fonts that do support that.

To do this correctly you must previously prepare your text. The best results are accomplished with utf-8 HTML. So here are the steps:

1. Convert your source text into utf-8 encoded HTML
2. Make sure HTML file has appropriate meta tag for charset
Quote:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">
3. Download Liberation font pack from here https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/ and unpack them in the same folder with HTML file
4. Add this to the head section of your HTML file:
Quote:
<style type="text/css">
@font-face { font-family: "Liberation Serif";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf)
}
font-style: normal;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf)
}
font-style: italic;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf)
}
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf)
}
body {font-family: "Liberation Serif",serif}
</style>
5. Now you can import that file into calibre and convert it to epub. If you did everything right - you will be able to read russian texts.

Simmilar thing was explained here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84256
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote