Hey - I've had my Kobo for a couple of months now - and when I first bought it, I purchased 3 books (two downloaded from the Kobo website to my PC and then copied to the Kobo and one directly downloaded through wifi to my Kobo). I started reading all of them just to test it out and then I decided to try borrowing library books.
So...here we are two months later and I am finally getting around to finish reading my purchased books after reading many, many borrowed books from the library.
I went to access one of my purchased books this afternoon and a message came up on my Kobo saying that the content was locked. Same thing happened to all three books. I suspected that this had something to do with the firmware update I did a few weeks back, so I connected the Kobo to my PC, pulled up the Kobo desktop and did an 'Update Library' and 'Sync'. Still the same problem.
I then decided to take matters into my own hands and remove my old books and recopy the downloaded books to my Kobo using (the much more reliable) ADE. Worked fine and I can access those books, BUT...the ORIGINAL locked copies of my books are still on my Kobo (even though I deleted them through ADE). Duplicate copies of each book now exist! The copies I can access are obvious - they lost their front cover graphics when copied from ADE. The other copies (that were copied from the Kobo App. from direct download or from the Kobo store via my wifi) are also still there - and still locked.
So...my next step was to go into my Kobo's file system to see if I can delete the original Kobo .epubs and start all over again by re-downloading all three books from my Kobo account. BUT, I can't find those files! What the?! I need
Let me know if you have answers to any of these questions:
1. How did my purchased books become locked in the first place? Is it because I have not touched them in two months? Is it because of the firmware upgrade?
2. How did I manage to copy two of the same book on my Kobo? Shouldn't it recognize a duplicate and give an error message?
3. How can I clean up this mess?!?!?!
4. How can I prevent this from happening again?
5. If it does happen again, what is the 'easy' fix? I thought deleting and re-copying through ADE was the smart choice (since that's what I have done with my library books), but this time it didn't work out so well.
All I can say is thank goodness it's only three books. But, I'd like to know what went wrong, nonetheless. Thanks!!!