Originally Posted by chaley
Some random ideas:
1) ensure you are not out of disk space.
2) ensure that there is no installation of calibre on the machine. Delete c:\program files\calibre and c:\program files\calibre2.
3) if there is a calibre entry in the control panel 'programs' section, select its uninstall to remove it.
4) copy the calibre installation file from downloads to your desktop. The point of this is to see if you can copy it, or whether it has internal problems.
5) if none of the above works, check the drive for errors. Right click on c:, choose properties, then tools, then check drive. Choose 'automatically fix errors'. Windows will probably ask you to restart the machine.
That is great trouble shooting input but none of the above is causing the download problem on my laptop. There is still a download bug.
I decided to try FBReader on my laptop instead, because I really don't want to store books on my c drive anyway. There was no trouble whatsoever downloading FBReader with all of the firewall and anti-virus software still running.
Calibre is a fine program to use on my pc and I look forward to learning how to edit and publish ebooks myself.
Kind regards and Happy New Year.