View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I live in Canada and just bought the Black Pandigital Novel from Beds Bath & Beyond (Dec 21).

I tried to find a white one but it looks like Canada has the Black version with the built in Kobo reader.

I did the new software upgrade and it appears to have opened up the Android OS to the user. I believe though that it is still at Android level 1.5.

I have managed to install some additional apps but serveral have refused to install or work after the install - I assume because of the Android 1.5.

The White one comes with Android 2.0.

The wifi works great as far as I am concern. The native web browser seams to work well. As this is my first Android device I have nothing to really compare it too. The kobo readers is okay. I already had an account because of my purchases for my Aluratek Libre Pro. One thing I also noticed since the upgrade was the scrolling. It nows seems to have momentum when you slide a page. You give the screen a swipe and it keeps on going. You have to really watch it or you can over shoot a page. I believe it didn't work like this before.

I installed a different PDF reader which appears to do some "text flow" rendering when switched on. This reader is called "Repligo Reader". I was strongly recommend it. In page view you see the whole page but you can switch to "Reading View" in which case it zooms into the page and wraps the text around so that you do not have to pan sideways.

So far I have found the unit quite stable and the screen is clear and responsive. I do use my own stylus because I am use to using one as oppose to my fingers. I do like the auto screen switching between portrait and landscape but it would have been nice to have the ability to do it manually when you turn off the auto feature.

The battery life might be an issue. They claim 6 hrs but I believe that is for reading only. If you start taxing it with various apps I believe the life will be much shorter. I have yet to set up email. I have accessed my email via my ISP's home page via the browser.

I was able to play mp4 video right out of the box. It wasn't jerky. I also installed a "Youtube" player and it works great as well. This player was an older version that I heard was required for this unit.

I have not had to do any mods other than the FW update from Pandigital.

It would have been nice to find a white one with the Android 2.0 on it but it looks like I will be stuck with this one to play with.

Other that not having gotten a white one with the higher OS I am quite pleased with it.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote