View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think that the only Hatchette ebooks I've bought since April one were with my soon-to-be-used-up 40% off Sony gift cards, and indirectly, library books. There just aren't that many new books that are compelling for me to buy at new paperback prices, when I have thousands of to-be-read ebooks that I either bought at used book prices before April, got free, or bought at Fictionwise at 50%-60% off in the last month (like Rex Stout's ebooks for about $2.50 each).
Do you honestly believe these large book publishers don't understand the realities you talk about? That there is competition for the book dollar from libraries, used books -- not to mention Tv, Movies, Facebook and the like.

Maybe they just don't think selling to YOU at YOUR desired price level is a business WORTH being in. They aren't willing to work for the price you are willing to pay. You have options that mean "the publishers don't matter to me".

Well, guess what. The publishers have options that mean "you don't matter to them". There are other customers willing to pay the prices the publishers are asking for. They have an army of bean counters who's job it is to constantly monitor that price point for which they get the greatest return.

The Agency 5 wrested control away from Amazon -- but they are STILL bound by what the market will bear. Given your description of your pricing points -- you never really mattered much in their calculations before and don't now.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote