View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The publishing industry is fighting for survival and has been for a couple decades. Demand is dropping; people are reading less and less. This is a 200 year-old industry facing hard times as it is, and they're scared as hell of turning their product into a digital file that can be copied and pirated. I think they would do well to embrace it, but they're heading into new water very, very carefully.

I don't think either Amazon/e-book retailers or the publishing industry is the bad guy. On one side you have companies like Amazon -who barely made profit for years due to slim margins- taking a loss on e-book sales in order to sell Kindles, and on the other you have a struggling publishing industry trying to stay alive. It's like two starving monkeys fighting over a peanut.

Yeah I would love to get an ebook copy along with a hard copy, but I don't feel put out by the current situation. If I really want a hard copy for whatever reason, I just buy that. If I don't feel the need to have it on my bookshelf, I buy the digital version, saving space and often saving money. As consumers we have more book buying options than ever. If I gotta have both, I can easily find a cheap used copy of nearly any book online, and then the industry makes nothing.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote