View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
rumplestiltskin
Enthusiast
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Nook Color
I have used some $100-$150 Chinese "Android" (1.7-2.0) tablets; four different models from four different mfr's. (One of my clients sells all sorts of phones and electronics from China - these tablets were something he was considering.) I wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy. Let's see: Worthless, unusable, non-intuitive, buggy, crash-prone...did I say unusable? Jeez; I'd rather use a Windoze tablet.

Frankly, I don't see Android devices being successful in a big way in the long run until someone takes control of the OS and yanks the leash on the developers. It's like the old DOS days with nothing behaving in a consistent or reliable manner until Apple forced Microsoft into Windows and there were rules. Maybe an Ubuntu tablet? (I can hope.) One of the problems with the Android tablets is that they're being pushed by the wireless communications vendors and each wants to put his own "store" for "value-add" products and services. Yes, I know that's what they do but that is, indeed, part of the problem and certainly not part of the solution. They're doing to the tablets what they did to the phones: Make the same model of phone behave differently depending on whether your provider is AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc. Customers voted with their feet and wallets; the iPhone won and the rest of the hamsters are fighting over what's left. Look at Verizon: RIM's share is down to 10%, Windows Mobile phones are being given away for free and Android phones aren't slowing down the iPhone/AT&T juggernaut at all. This is why Verizon is now willing to do anything Apple asks in order to get the iPhone. The tablet manufacturers who are relying upon the wireless vendors to make their tablets a success are kidding themselves.

Feel free to flame at me if you wish but let's check back in a few years when maybe we'll have more than Apple and the seven Android dwarfs.

All the above notwithstanding, I'm getting ready to buy a Sony 650 (got a $75 trade-in coupon for an old Palm Zire!) to augment my iPad. My wife wants a reader but doesn't want the distractions of the web or games, and I'd like a reader I can use in broad daylight. I don't often read books outdoors but, when I do want to, the iPad just doesn't cut it.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote