View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #19
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
The they-want-you-to-buy-their-book argument doesn't quite hold, because so do BN and Borders and their readers support library books. There have always been libraries, and that hasn't stopped people from buying books.

You can make a good business case for supporting library books. It would remove the last advantage the other readers have. It would nudge the fence sitters. More people will be enticed to buy your reader, thinking they will get to read books for free, even if they never get around to doing it. "oh wow, I can read this from my library. I love my kindle!! Wait, what, I am patron 10 out of 10 waiting? Shoot, I'll just buy it from Amazon". Ka ching!

Re stripping drm from library books, Not only is it illegal, I think there you're getting into an ethically indefensible position.

1. If you want to read library books, ideally you should support the ereader that makes this possible, which means not buying the kindle. It's like if you want to pay less tax, vote for the guy who lowers your tax, not the other guy then find some way to get around paying the taxman.

2. The more people do this, the more likely the publishers will want to stop selling ebooks to libraries altogether, or to come up with ever more cumbersome DRM schemes, and everyone ends up worse off. It's like when doctors overprescribe antibiotics. sure the patients get better and get out of their hair, but everyone becomes worse off as the chances of bacteria becoming resistant increase.

3. What are the chances that you will always respect the lending period and not be tempted to keep the book beyond that? People say as long as "I don't keep it past 21 days or whatever, I don't see the problem" which sounds a bit like as long as I don't inhale, or as long as I don't get behind the wheels, etc.

Which is not to say that it is BAD. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't much. It is just indefensible,

Last edited by Barty; 12-15-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote