View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For generic names of relatively unimportant characters, I go through a list of people who bought my software in the early 2K's. That's thousands of actual names of a variety of ethnicities. I scan until I see a first name that appeals to me. Then I go looking for a surname that seems to fit. (I never use anyone's *real* name on purpose.)

For important characters, I brood on it for a while. I'll assign a working name and use that until their real name comes to me.

For names that need to fit the setting, like colonial North America, I go hunting on Google for era-appropriate names to pick from.

Sometimes, because I'm not German, I take a word like "weaver" and translate it to German ("Weber") and call that the surname. I'm not saying it's a *good* idea, just one I've used.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote