View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #39
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Baen can.

Baen has been selling e-books in multiple formats, without DRM, two dollars cheaper than a mass-market paperback, from the hour the hardback comes out. And it has been doing this for, what, a decade?

If Baen can, why should I buy the idea that other publishers can't?
Because it's true? You're forgetting scale. Size matters.

Quote:
Am I supposed to think Baen is secretly funded by the Venusian Coalition to Destroy Terran Publishing, or something?
Nope. But you have to recognize the differences. Baen's model works for Baen. It won't work for a big house.

Baen is a small publisher. I think there are about 6 full time Baen employees. The ones I know of include Toni Weisskopf, publisher, Jim Minz, senior editor, Hank Davis, assistant editor, and a lady named Marla (whose last name I've forgotten) as office manager.

Baen's website and the Webscription's program are done on a contract basis by Arnold Bailey, D/B/A Webwrights. (I believe Arnold gets a cut of Webscriptions sales, and does niceely, thanks.) Book markup and typesetting are contracted out. (That use to be done by Nancy Hanger, who had the title of Managing Editor, but was paid on a per book basis. I'm not sure who does it now. Possibly Arnold, since he does the ebook editions.

While Baen is an independent, their paper books are manufactured and distributed by Simon and Schuster. Books are actually manufactured by Quebecor, who does Simon and Schuster and Bantam titles, among others.

And Baen is located in Wake Forest, North Carolina, which has much lower overhead than NYC where most major publishers are located. Baen used to have office in Riverdale in the Bronx borough of NYC, but moved south for lower costs.

In addition, Baen is a specialty publisher. The specialize in mid-range, action/adventure SF/fantasy. They are working ground formerly occupied by DAW Books back when founder Donald A. Wollheim was alive and running it. Wollheim was in turn doing something like what Harlequin does in romances: if you like one of their books, chances are you'll like the others.

Baen has clear branding, and a good understanding of their market. While they aren't going to have many best sellers (save for David Weber's Honor Harrington series), they are also likely to have a far lower rate of returns. (I believe Baen has something like a 70% sell through rate.)

Baen does it through small size, low overhead, and focus. Tell me how you expect a major trade house to emulate that model?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote