View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #91
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You don't look like the person who wanted the answer or initiated the thread? ...
Interrogative? Thanks, I expect the OP will let me know, if they are not interested in my comments.

Quote:
... Kindle, Nook and Sony ... e-ink ...
True, but the OP said they "...live in Canada". Last time I checked, B&N only ships within the USA and a US billing address is required, though clearly there are ways around this type of restriction.

Quote:
... Kindles do not limit or force users to buy on Amazon stores only, so saying the device will be tied to Amazon is not correct. The limit is imposed by the users when buying DRM protected books. I do have hundreds (and legal) unprotected MOBI books on my new Kindle ...
"Limit" and "force" - your words, not mine. Of course, I didn't literally mean coerce. It is possible to have ties to something, without being necessarily being tied down.

IMHO, Amazon's marketing strategy is to tie Kindle owners to their store, Kindle's lack of ePub format is a restriction and as such, a part of that strategy.

Quote:
... you have B&N and Amazon ...
Are Sony users precluded from buying e-books from either book-store?

Quote:
... One of Sony PRS-650 drawbacks is that does not allow you changing line-spacing, margins, font type, not without adding fonts or altering the CSS ebook file and that's an important option(s) when reading pure text only books ...
Surely, something would only be a drawback if it mattered to the purchaser, and then would only be significant if it mattered enough to affect their choice. In my case, changing line spacing and being able to change font type was of less importance than having a touch-screen interface, twelve dictionaries and compatibility with ePub format. The Sony displays text with or without margins; it has five page modes, including margin cut.

Quote:
... you paid more than $200 and not even wifi, you kidding me?
The OP said, "... I won't need 3G or even wifi ...". Me neither; apparently you do. I would only need it, if I didn't have any other way of downloading e-books. Had I wanted it, for its convenience, that wouldn't have been a need, at least not in my book.

Yes, I was happy to pay more than $200 for the Sony's build-quality, touch-screen interface, twelve dictionaries and compatibility with ePub format. Of course, if these features aren't important to the OP and price is the key, then I concur, a cheaper product would seem to be their most logical option.

Naturally, I would have preferred to have paid less, I realise that many people cannot afford the current price and hope that Sony reduce their prices, so more people can buy their excellent products.

Undoubtedly the Kindle is hugely popular and hopefully I have avoided knocking it, on the contrary I celebrate the fact the consumers have choice. I don't favour monopolies, either e-readers or book-stores. Vive la différence !

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote