View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #33
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
Open ePub in Editor plugin

*** This plugin has now been deprecated. Instead, use the more powerful and flexible Open With plugin from the link below ***
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118761

This plugin allows direct editing of ePub files in an external editor such as Sigil via a right-click menu. This plugin means users now have two choices for editing ePubs, with the "non-sigil" approach being the existing "Tweak ePub" function.

Special Notes:
  • I have not tested this plugin on anything other than Windows. If someone running Calibre can feedback success or failure on other platforms it would be appreciated by others I am sure.
  • After editing the ePub, regardless of whether you make changes no information is updated in the Calibre database (such as the CRC for this file). I'm not aware of any downside to doing this and it is fairly common for users to directly edit formats of files.
Installation Steps:
  1. Follow installation steps as per first post in this thread
  2. Add a custom tweak value in Preferences->Tweaks reflecting the path to your editor such as Sigil. In the snippet below (Windows 7 64-bit) my path is as follows:
    Code:
    # Specify path to your ePub editor for 'Open ePub in Editor' plugin
    epub_editor_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sigil\\Sigil.exe'
  3. Restart Calibre and add the command to your context menu or toolbar as appropriate.
Feedback/suggestions welcomed. For instance this could be enhanced with a keyboard shortcut and icon if people want it.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Note about deprecation to Open With