View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #62
bbz_Ghost
bbz_Ghost doesn't litterbbz_Ghost doesn't litter

Device: Considering a Nook Color...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Need to ask a dumb question. How do you reboot the nook? I tried holding the power down for 5 seconds, release and then hold the power down again for 2 seconds as some have instructed. But the nook comes back on immediately after I pushed the power the 2nd time so I don't even have a chance to hold it for 2 seconds. I am not sure if I am doing the rebooting correctly.
I could be wrong on that but it's the technique that I've seen mentioned most of all - the User's Guide says hold it ~3 seconds, choose Power off on the option that appears onscreen and then wait for it to power off.

I believe it's rebooted by holding the power for 15 seconds or more, then you get the power off option. Damn, I swear, I wish I had a Nook Color right now.

It'll probably be February before I can manage to get one... crap. CRAP!

As for a sticky, I'm working on the guide which should hopefully be the better candidate for such a topic depending on how things work out. If it does, great, if not, no big deal I suppose. As long as someone out there is able to start making great looking videos (with audio, of course) for their Nook Color, it's worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Anyway, if my original movie is only 720 x 480...how are you bumping UP the resolution?
I'm not - I did mention that the clips I had made (aside from the Harry Potter one) came from HD file sources, movie trailers in 720p format (they're originally about 1280x544 resolution). The only way to get files to "max out" at the 848 pixel wide limit - again, it's a math thing even though the Nook Color supports up to 854 pixels wide - is if your source material is larger than that in terms of resolution.

Native DVD format resolution is 720x480 max (NTSC in North America, PAL in other parts of the world is 720x576 iirc.

So the best you'll get from converting an actual DVD to an mp4 or m4v file (same basic thing as far as playback is concerned) is 720 pixels wide, and the height will be determined by the aspect ratio of the source material. There's no way to "upscale" videos during the conversion process - that would create a lot of artifacting and is generally regarded as a very bad thing to do.

The Harry Potter clip came directly from my retail Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire DVD ripped to my hard drive, hence it's 720 pixels wide natively and the aspect ration brings in the height at 304 pixels.

Let the device itself do the upscaling as necessary which is what happens when you play a 720 pixel wide clip and it plays full screen anyway.

Last edited by bbz_Ghost; 12-02-2010 at 03:37 AM.
bbz_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote