View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Yeah, I'm kind of puzzled by Baen's approach, too. I completely understand the free library approach of giving away the first couple of books in a series on the theory that customers might buy the rest of the books in the series.

But I don't understand at all why Baen lets you go elsewhere (like http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...sionofHonorCD/) and get *all* of the other e-books (i.e., the ones that you can buy on their website for $6).

Baen's free library was started in 2000 or so, when having e-books meant reading them on your computer or on your palm pilot. Even Flint's article was written several months before the first Kindle became available...meaning at a time when e-reading was in its infancy.

So while I don't think that they will ever add DRM, I do wonder whether they will discourage people (by asking, even) from posting CDs with the entire back catalogue of certain authors.

I'm also curious about why David Weber seems to have gone to Tor.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote