View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Is this not also a question of e-reader capability?
I mean, right now I don't see any point in digitizing any of my books that contain large amounts of color illustrations - there's just no good way of looking at them. (Obviously, I', not thinking of my PC as an e-reader.)

Old paperbacks, on the other hand, are perfect candidates - black & white, easily scanned, don't care if they're trash afterwards. Out the door they go ...
Also, considering how expandable the Iliad's memory is, I don't even bother with OCR - as others have pointed out, it's way too much work.
It's a good point. So far, the documents and book chapters I've digitized I have left in pdf format (or converted with pdflrf) because I feel that if I were to go the next step use OCR I would pretty much have to read the thing to make corrections and format it. So there's hardly a point to do that. And, yes, my Sony Reader even with the 2Gb SD card is pretty much full with those large pdfs and lrf files from pdfs. But you say paperbacks are easily scanned. I don't see anything that's easily scanned. For me with my HP scanner, everything is a slow painful chore.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote