View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #18
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@kiwidude: You can hit / and Ctrl+V to achieve the same thing without the plugin
I was aware of that shortcut thanks but it doesn't do quite the same. / just moves focus to the search box, but the selection cursor is placed at the end of whatever text was in it. You still have to clear the search text before pasting in your new selection and hit enter. And the "exact" search option I coded with ctrl+shift+s putting quotes around the text isn't available either. So it turns a minimum of 4 and 6 keystrokes respectively into one that is by far more convenient (I can do the whole sequence with my left hand not moving and right can stay on the mouse). Handy when you are checking a bunch of books one after another switching between the browser/Calibre.

As an aside I would propose that it would be a nice minor improvement to Calibre if the search box behaved more like web browsers and many apps in that when focus is shifted to it via that shortcut all of the current text is selected ready for over-typing? You are less likely to have shifted focus away from the search box unless you had found what you wanted and now want a different search. The user can always hit "End" or a cursor key if they want to refine the text in there, but holding backspace down or pressing shift-Home for the most common case of a new search (for me anyways) gets a bit repetitive and puts both hands back on the keyboard. Also a keyboard shortcut to execute the action for that "Reset Quick Search" button would be nice too? I'll add these to the tracker and perhaps patches for your consideration, changing my local copy anyways.

Last edited by kiwidude; 11-29-2010 at 06:17 AM.