View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
B&N already announced their version of android market coming in Q1 2011, you can already sign up for their developer program which is free.
There was also talk of a nook SDK that never came to light. Combined with Apple paving the way for banning books with the word "fuck", South Park content, magazines that mention competitors, and applications that compete with the stock, I wouldn't recommend buying the Nook Color for its potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
What that means is amazon should be able to sign up too, or b&n will have an antitrust dispute on their hands.
No, they won't. That's merely wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
While I do own an iPod, I never use Apple's music format.
You could argue that Apple's music sold with DRM was their format, but MP3 is MPEG-1 and AAC is MPEG-2. They are both "open" (to a similar extent). Your iTunes-purchased DRM-free AAC will play just fine on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Kindle has its own format (MOBI), it will NOT read the universal standard format (ePUB).
To continue my streak of being contrarian...

It's hard to argue that ePub is universal when Amazon controls the vast majority of the market. It's also difficult to argue that ePub is open when it is unlikely to find Major Name Brand content without proprietary DRM wrapped around it.

Don't get me wrong. I think ePub is a better flawed format than the flawed format that is Mobipocket. However, I don't want anyone to get the false impression that a reasonable segment of the market is open. While eBooks have gained some traction recently, the marketplace is still very much set against the customer.

Of course, most people don't care about any of these factors until Sexy New Reading device comes out and it won't work with their library or their favorite book seller folds and they are left stranded without access to their bookshelf.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote