View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Break on POV change also, or only on Scene Change?

Ok, I've got a rather interesting situation situation with a book I'm writing. The main characters are currently in the middle of a firefight and things are drifting back and forth across the battlefield scene wise (which is normal given the way battles typically tend to unfold). The biggest problem that comes of this is that the scene will start out in one area, casually drift over to another, and then snap over to a third, or even back to the original object of the scene.

The biggest problem that comes from this is that after I've casually drifted over to another area, there's a hard cutback to the original character in much the same way you'd have a scene change. However, it's not a change, as the scene originally started out with the focus on the main character, and only wandered over to the other side for a brief moment to get a new perspective on how things were going before returning focus on the main character. Sorta like you turned your head to take in something else nearby and then looked back. But when you look back, it's as though you stepped out of the scene for a bit and just came back in.

So I'm wondering how I should handle this. It's technically not a scene change, and yet the switch back to the main character is a hard cut. Should I actually make a scene break there, or should I find some way to wander back to the main character and avoid the hard cut?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote