View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!WilliamG will blow your mind, man!

Just got my Kindle, and yes, it's better than the Sony Reader.

And I own two Reader PRS-500s (wifey and me).

Got my Kindle this evening. It really is as good as everyone says. Pretty much all my complaints about the Reader are solved:

Things I didn't like about the Reader:

1.) Craptastic software.
2.) Tiny page buttons.
3.) Overpriced books
4.) Zero software implementation - i.e. you pretty much literally couldn't do anything but click next page or previous page.
5.) The harshness of the font. Somehow all the fonts were "jaggy" and "harsh" to look at. And only 3 sizes. Easily made more, since I often couldn't find the right-sized font.
6.) No Mac support. I own a Mac. Problem! Having to dual-boot is a pain.
7.) Metal finish on the Reader = COLD, and also my page-turning finger would always sweat on it. Not pleasant. At all.
8.) The annoyance of having to call Sony every time I re-install my OS if I'd forgotten to de-register my computer from the Connect store beforehand.

Amazon won this one. Hands down. And you should have seen me gush over the Reader before/when it came out. I gushed thinking of what Sony could do in the next year from October 2006 (PRS-500 release date?). What did Sony do? Well...they broke the battery indicator in the PRS-500 after a few months, and then...uh...months later, they fixed it. Go...Sony?

But the Kindle isn't as sexy as the Reader! All of a sudden I don't care anymore. Amazing... - functionality over form wins out.

Anyway, back to reading the NYT!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote