Thread: Iriver Story
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #184
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRiver Story, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I believe Story (as well as Cover Story I should add) is the only ebook reader on this planet having problem handling English text files.
No, I'm pretty sure there are other brands that have similar problems. I don't recall which ones, but I know I've heard similar complaints in other forums on this site about brands other than iRiver. That's why I asked -- I was wondering if it was TXT files across the board that had a problem.

Quote:
In the PDF department, Kindle's great. It allows zooming, fitting to screen-size, and auto-cropping of white spaces. In addition the contrast is also adjustable, useful for those light prints. It won't do text reflow though.
Was it a DX you bought? The 6" screen?

Quote:
And the battery life! For Story, it lasts at most 4 to 5 days if I don't turn the power off, even if I don't read much. But for Kindle, it's able to conserve battery power in sleep (screen-saver) mode. After 4 days, the power is still at around 90%, with a lot of reading. A world of difference.
My iRiver was like that, too, when I first got it. I wonder if it's that entrainment thing with rechargeable batteries, where the lifespan from a "full" recharge gradually declines, and over time it sinks faster and faster?

Out of curiosity, how was the delivery of the hardware? The last order I made from Amazon, my credit card was charged within an hour but the items (all of which were marked as being in-stock) took just under two months (!!!) to arrive. And when the package arrived, the books were just thrown into a box too big to contain them, with nothing to keep them secure, and were all damaged. Part of my resistance to Kindle is not wanting to deal with Amazon, which I feel has become very shoddy lately.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote