I've made a small tool to change the modified date on books on my PRS-650, so that I can choose the three books that are displayed on the home screen.
It helped me, so maybe it will help others, and it works on all x50 models and the 900.
Screenshot - Mac version
With OrderBooks you can set your favourites on the Home Screen.
Screenshot - Windows version
- Mac 0.3.0 added 15-Jan-2010
- Windows 0.3.1 added 16-Jan-2010
1. Connect reader.
2. Start the application.
3. Update Books Path:
- in Windows version: set the Reader/Card drive letter. (first time only)
- in Mac version: set the Reader/Card volume name. (default is READER/CARD)
4. Press 'Fetch Books'.
5. In the 'Position' column write numbers starting from 1. I usually stop at 3, it's enough for Home screen.
6. Press 'Change Order'.
7. Disconnect reader (safe remove from windows/calibre/reader library)
1. books can be displayed from Card, Reader, Reader + Card;
2. If the 'Future Dates' option is used, the date for the selected book will be set 2 years into the future. This way the book/books will remain on Home Screen even if you add new books to the reader.
Reseting future books is easy, just set a new position for the target book and 'Change Order' with 'Future Dates' deselected.
3. The Windows version works on Linux using Mono runtime and libraries.
If you use the 'author sort' feature from Calibre to change the author's name on the reader, from (fn ln) to (ln, fn), after you use OrderBooks to change the date of a book, the author resets to (fn ln).
The workaround for this problem is to trigger a metadata refresh in Calibre after using OrderBooks.