View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
2) Concerning the e-ink Nook rooting/bricking issue from this summer. Did B&N purposely change the device so this would happen or was it a side effect of changes made for other purposes? I worry a little. Rebo made the point on the Nook Color Reviews thread in the News section that B&N is selling this machine at a pretty low margin and will definitely want to lock it down pretty tight and that really bothers me. I think it looks like a great buy, but only if I get to run what I want on it. I'm going to want some other reader software.
The prospect of bricking a 250 machine and having no recourse is a deal killer.
The changes were not made to intentionally break devices that users wanted to modify. New hardware revisions come out all the time, generally to reduce cost, to replace obsolete parts, or to fix known issues. Rooting often requires very specific behavior at a very low level, and the consequences when those assumptions aren't true can sometimes be nasty. (Of course, the reason it is so difficult to recover from such consequences is because the tools to recover are often the same tools that would have made hacking easier in the first place.)

It sounds as though you should wait until stable exploits are found with the Nook Color before purchasing. If you can't perform your own work to recover your device, it is unlikely that someone else will put in the work to help you.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote