NookColor - tried one in B&N tonight
So I happened to be in B&N tonight in Rancho Bernardo, San Diego and went to the cashier's desk to ask about a book. As I was standing there, one of the assistants walked by with two NookColor's in his hand.
So, like any good geek, I stopped him and he demonstrated the models which he said were display and familiarization models. He had been "playing" with one all day to get used to it. He let me try it out. So, here are some initial thoughts from about 15 minutes of use:
1. It feels heavy in relation to my Kindle 3.
2. It has a rubberized back which makes it really nice to grip.
3. The screen was very glarey. Under the lights at the cash desk I was having to move it around - but it was no worse than the iPad - infact the quality was like a smaller version of the iPad.
4. I notices a speck of dust under the screen protector. It cauesed a 0.5cm circle. Even with the screen on, you could see it as the glare was different at that point. Hopefully this was just an early demo model and the real ones will not have the same problem.
5. The page turns were very quick and of course had no e-ink lag.
6. The screen was responsive, a light touch and everything worked, turned, scrolled.
7. The wi-fi was not working so I could not test it out.
8. Color pictures in the sample National Geographic were excellent - vibrant.
9. The newspapers looked excellent and color was a great bonus.
My overall impressions? If you don't mind reading on an iPad, then this will work for you. Small, more easily held and portably, half the price of an iPad, responsive, and a promise of dedicated apps to follow.
However, the LCD screen for me has nothing on e-ink. The glare was very noticeable and distracting. I thought that this was going to be my next purchase, but sadly no.
I played around with the Velocity Cruz at Borders. NookColor is far superior in the way it feels and its responsiveness, though of course is $50 more expensive.
The guy said it would be two weeks before they would be sold in the store. But if I signed up for one now, it would help out the particular store and I would not be held to buying it when it came in.
Hope that helps and informs,