View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Software: The Cover Story comes with essentially the same OS as the Story, the same features, and support for the same document types. A couple of differences: The Cover Story can also read FB2 and Docx format; the Story can't. The Cover Story also provides access to POP3-based e.mail accounts, and an inline dictionary for the book reader.

Edited to add:
Renji, I read on another thread that you like the iRiver because of its CBZ support. If that's a major appeal for you, I would think the 16-greyscale screen would probably matter, which might mean your best choice from iRiver would be the Wi-Fi-enabled Story. But where are you? The Wi-Fi-enabled model isn't available everywhere.
Renji, I think Bran has hit the nail on the head here. It depends what you want to read on it more than anything else. Personally I decided before I bought that it was epub, the open format, that I wanted to read and by implication support, and that immediately eliminated the Kindle from my reckoning. It could be nice to read .txt files also: I made a list of the order in which the Barchester Chronicles were written and stored it in the same folder as the books. And one always has the thought of .pdf's in the background, although since they aren't re-flowable, one can have a problem with them on an e-reader that doesn't scroll.

Dictionary? Maybe. A diary? What on earth for? One has one's diary on one's laptop and a paper copy in one's pocket, and it's hard enough to keep the two in sync without adding another one. Games? With a whole library on one's e-reader, one plays games? I think not! Note-taker? You've got your cellphone for that, or the spare pages in your pocket diary. All this stuff is like changing the price of a new fridge from $600 to $599. It's marketing, and you're probably not going to use it. You bought an e-reader to read e-books. You have a laptop or pc for all the other shit.

So keep focussed on why you are buying an e-reader, and I think a lot will clarify. And if it is comics you're most interested in, as Bran says, THAT can be a good reason to go for the 16 grey scale screen.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:

And BTW, welcome to MR and the Iriver forum, and not the least as (soon-to-be) owner of an e-reader.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 11-16-2010 at 05:34 AM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote