View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
best program for correcting typos / spelling in epub & mobi books ?

like the title says, what's the easiest way to fix up an e-book file
e.g. I've done reading a book but I recall there being some annoying typos or spelling errors & I now want to go into the source, find them & fix them, to keep my OCD at bay :-)

should I go directly to sigil ? or are there other products that I should short list.

essential feature would be a word style find+replace, or spell check, + the ability to work within the ebook format & not have to convert to something else before & after patching.

as an aside I'm currently puzzled by a novel which contains a lot of Japanese words; because very frequently a Japanese word and it's preceding English word have merged i.e. there is no intervening space. It's decipherable but I wonder what could cause such a conversion artifact. extract below is from my source (lit) format. it only seems to happen for english+japanese word pairs, never for english+english word pairs

e.g.
"The waitress brought us the twoyuzukiri. Without a sound she knelt on thetatami, placed each dish on the table, slightly repositioned them in accordance with some strict mental framework, stood, bowed, and departed."

e.g. 2
"I remembered for a moment the first time I heard the wordainoko, half-breed. It happened at school, and I asked my father about it that night. He scowled and said only, “Taishita koto nai.” It’s nothing. But pretty soon I got to hear the word while theijimekko, the school bullies, were busy trying to beat the shit out of me, and I put two and two together."

I realise I'd have to patch all of these instances by hand & in this case I doubt that I will bother, but I am curious as to possible cause ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote