View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #116
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney
a fair number of users find eInk screens a lot easier to read than LCD displays
A fair number? Does anyone find LCD screens easier to look at than eInk?
Me.

It may be more accurate to say I find ease of reading equivalent. I spend 12 to 16 hours a day in front of an LCD screen hooked up to a computer. I also spend a fair number of hours looking at the LCD display of the handheld device that it my usual ebook reader. I have no problems doing so.

I've spent time examining dedicated readers using eInk. They offer several advantages over LCD that aren't advantages for me:

You can read eInk displays outdoors.
So you can. But I can do that with my LCD based device. For practical purposes, I don't. If I'm outdoors, I'm probably in transit. Reading is a mostly indoor activity.

eInk uses far less power to maintain the dislay, and you may be able to go for weeks between battery charges
So it does, and so you can. But I have an assortment of devices like my cell phone and notebook that require more frequent charging, and my usual reading device is simply one more on the list. It gets charged nightly, and when I travel, a charger for it travels with me. So I don't care about longer battery life on an eInk device, because I don't find keeping things charged an imposition.

eInk is easier to read than LCD
It is for many people. It's not for me.

It's what eInk doesn't do that kills it for me. The biggest issue is color support. Too much of what I want to view on my device requires colot, and the color offered by the new color eink announcement isn't adequate. The second factor is screen refresh speed. Some of what I view is animation or video. eInk can't support that. The screen refresh would work out to a slide show of still pictures if it worked at all, and not smooth motion.

If eInk works for you, I'm delighted, and happy reading. But it doesn't work for everybody, and no individual using a device to read ebooks, eInk or LCD, should assume they are representative of the market.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote