View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Buran
Geek
Buran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheeseBuran can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G Non-SO
Kindle 3: Newer keyboards have matte/anti-slip keys

This isn't a problem report or complaint -- just a curiosity.

I received a new Kindle yesterday to replace the one I got on launch day since somehow the bottom of the case had bent slightly (and it was never dropped in such a way to cause that kind of damage) and a small gap existed that slightly exposed the inside of the Kindle (e.g. the side of the USB port could be seen). I didn't think to mention it to the phone rep, but the unit also had the slow-sliding-switch problem (and always has); the replacement's switch slides freely and as expected.

I noticed immediately, though, that the keyboard and four-way controller have a new texture that feels and looks slightly different -- antislip, perhaps. This is only on the keyboard and controller, and there is no change in the page-turning buttons.

Here's a photo I took. It may be a little hard to see the change, but if you look closely the keyboard on one of the Kindles isn't as shiny as the other -- that's the new one. Model no. is D00901.

The "old" one goes back to Amazon today or Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle keyboard changes.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	61077  
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote