View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #38
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadel View Post
Actually BBC is quite a good TV company. I'd say it is probably the best in West Europe that I can watch. They have good quality shows, nice documentaries.
The subsidies give some form of freedom. The artists there are able to live comfortably and not obey the profit mantra all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that the BBC is funded by the state means that it can make programmes that would not be commercially viable - documentaries, costume drama, etc. In addition to which they have what are, IMHO, the best news channel and web site around. Personally I think it's money very well spent. I don't think you'd find very many people in Britain who don't regard the BBC as a good thing.
If this is true (and I am not saying it is not) then why would people not be willing to fund it as a private membership organization? Do they have advertising also? I know some shows already are produced direct to DVD and thus supported only by the people that watch the show (some recent stargates for example). What will be interesting to see is if the Hulu, Amazon or Netflix video on demand systems are able to generate the production of new content. So far it seems we have only had two real models for new tv shows, public funding or paying for it with our time and watching advertising. Now we are getting in show product placements due to the dvrs and such even. I think I would be willing to pay more for a vod show if I knew somehow it was keeping it in production, and I would prefer to help pay per show rather then into a large generic pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadel View Post
those to watch a movie for 0.50 with practically no cost of distribution (e.g. p2p technology).
This can work, as long as it does not cause a lot of bad will if your higher paying customers find out about it and refuse to keep paying the higher prices.

Last edited by twobits; 11-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote