View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
lowpis began at the beginning.
Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Exclamation [HACK] Google Translate on Ebook search menu

Just jailbroke my new Kindle3 and this is my first hack!
The context: I'm Brazilian but bought a Kindle because I read a lot of English books. I love the builtin dictionary in Kindle but I need a full Google Translate sometimes to understand some sentences. (and I guess it's a problem to other non english speakers too).

So here is how I solved my problem: changed the Wikipedia's search URL to use Google Translate URL. Not a big hack, but maybe something useful for someone else. (And, yes, you loose the Wikipedia search from the ebook search menu; for me a very good tradeoff)

So here is how:

1) Jailbreak your device

2) Enable USBNetwork

3) Mount root as rw

4) Edit file /opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/search_prefs
(For me it was easier to download the file, edit in my machine and upload it back)

You can change any URL in this file. I chose Wikipedia's and replaced with Google Translate URL:

The parameters explained:
  • sl - source language code (or 'auto' for detection)
  • tl - to language code ('pt' for portuguese, for example)
  • q - the search term (just put '{searchTerm}')

The file should look like this:

SearchGoogleURL ={searchTerm}
SearchWikipediaURL ={searchTerm}
5) Don't forget to leave rw mode, turnoff USBnetwork, eject etc

6) To test it, go to any book (not samples) and highlight some text: press Middle-Button to start highlighting and finish the highlight pressing Space (not Enter). The text appears in the search box, select "Wikipedia" and voilá.

Hope this helps someone too. And sorry for the simple hack. Maybe someone can figure out how to put a proper "Translate" button in the search menu
lowpis is offline   Reply With Quote