View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #98
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't see it as a mistake, but I do wonder how new people are to find it. it is completely invisible without knowing where to check for it. couldn't the link be there taking a newcomer to the "opt in" page?

As I've noted before, I rarely log in unless I'm ready to post something. Here's my suggestion:

Make the *thread list* visible to anyone, but when clicked, post a reminder that you can only participate if you opt in. Possibly make a new section on the main page, like the lists of newest posted books, polls, etc. (you could even put it at the very bottom of the page.) Or, possibly you could just make a post to the sticky thread each day with the currently running list of controversial threads.

I almost never browse by forum - I go to the last day's posts (almost always from an un-logged-in state) and browse through that list. After that, if I've got something I want to check by topic, I'll search for it. Usually, by the time I've gone through all 14-20 pages of daily threads, I'm ready to go to bed anyway. If I see a thread I want to reply to, I log in. I know this is strange, but that's the way I've found easiest to use the site.

I'm disappointed that I won't even SEE that there's an interesting but controversial subject unless I finish logging in. I think there needs to be more than just a sticky post - if it's not continuously refreshed, most lurking visitors won't see the section.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote