View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think it will work as long as authors understand that the review might not be glowing If I might offer you a bit of constructive feedback, I am not sure how many authors who claim they want to be huge successes realize that this is actually a *business* (if making money is the goal, it must be) and that serving the *customer* is the most important thing. For example, you claim you only post positive reviews and that is great for author ego purposes, but it does make you a bit less trustworthy a source for a customer legitimately trying to evaluate a potential purchase. I know personally that I have seen books on Smashwords with only glowing reviews and then I read a sample and wonder what those people were smoking It makes me feel like the author had only their family members review it or something, and that's total amateur hour. I immediately cross that author off my list of authors to watch.

I think a review service like the one you suggest is a good idea, but I worry that in trying to serve authors in the way you are, you are not serving readers, and that will *hurt* the authors you claim to be supporting. If I am a reviewer and I participate in your service and my review does not get posted because I don't give the book five stars, that will be the last time I participate in it. Imho it is much better to post balanced reviews that help guide readers toward appropriate choices.