View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Interesting. I hadn't looked at Norman Spinrad's output on Amazon. I wonder it they're Drm'ed. If not, I might buy a few and see if they need better proofing. If so, i could proof and return to Mr. Spinrad...
I'm not sure, but I think the Amazon versions could be topaz, because they only list file size. Since I have a Nook, I'd be buying the ePub version anyway. Since I hate replacing my paperbacks with ebooks priced several times higher than my original purchase price, I'll probably pass on his backlist, especially since my favorite Spinrad novel, Bug Jack Barron, isn't available.

There's also an amusing dialogue on Spinrad's blog between Spinrad and the trolling gadfly Bowerbird over the pricing of Spinrad's work. Bowerbird apparently was the person who suggested to Spinrad that he use pirate copies of his work as the source for his ebooks. I think that Bowerbird is correct that a lower price will sell more copies, but I'm not convinced that, per Bowerbird's example, lowering the cost from $9 to $3 will sell more than 3 times as many books. I suspect many people who would consider buying Spinrad in ebook are people who already own his DTBs, and like me, debate the cost of replacement. Some authors price their backlist ebooks at a discount to new mass market paperback prices, Spinrad's pricing them at par, and the big publishers have "Classic SF" lines, where they are pricing the works of dead SF authors at trade paperback prices. Who is right? The sad fact is that as backlists get converted to ebooks, either by publisher, author, or pirate, the competition for the consumer's limited dollars by both new and old books gets fiercer.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote