View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I personally (no offense, please from those who see it otherwise) have no use for a device that does everything, but nothing well. If you have the room to carry a larger device around, that won't fit into a pocket and which emulates a large hardbound book size, go for it. It's more expensive, heavier and has a shorter battery charge life. What matters to me is being able to see text at 'normal reading size' (whatever that might be for each of us), last for a couple of weeks in the wilderness away from a recharge, and be light enough to carry without noticeable weight or encumbrance.

If you grab a paperback and measure the printed page size (not the size of the paper itself) you'll come up with about 3.5 x 5 inches of printed area and in some cases some very small font sizes. Color? I'll check that out on my 24" computer monitor, thanks, if I need it.

What I do not like are devices with no user-replaceable batteries. My Apple devices (Shuffle and Nano) are now useless because their batteries are weak. The Kindle is similar, but at least you can get into it after the warranty is gone.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote