View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
HORRIBLE things I have learned from the Video on the amazon page

I have just watched videos on the page and I have learned HORRIBLE things.

video named
Watch a Video Demonstration of Kindle
time 5:11
"... if you have personal documents to read on your Kindle, like Microsoft Word files you can just email them to Your Kindle. For just a small charge Amazon will convert your document and deliver it wirelessly."

So.
Just to translate it into plain English.
YOU CAN ONLY READ MATERIAL PURCHASED THROUGH AMAZON. IF YOU WANT TO READ YOUR OWN TEXTS, YOU HAVE TO PAY AMAZON ANYWAY.

I wonder how long it will take to hack Kindle so you do not have to pay for uploading of YOUR OWN CONTENT.

Phew!!!

It looks like I will stick to my Sony Reader a little bit longer.

EDIT:
snip from the product page (after you click on the plus sign next to "Technical details":
Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), MP3, natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MOBI, PRC through conversion

EDIT2:
from the "Kindle users guide" pdf document
" ... Amazon will convert the files if necessary and send them back to your computer for free
or wirelessly to your Kindle for a small fee, ""

EDIT3:
from the "Kindle users guide" pdf document
" ... When your Kindle is plugged into your computer, Kindle and any inserted
SD memory card appear as removable mass storage devices in Windows Explorer or as a
drive in the Mac OS Finder."

Last edited by kacir; 11-19-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: OOOPS. It loks like I should have read specifications first ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote