View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Bölverkur
Bölverkur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon/Kindle location workaround

Hey guys,

I am an international customer that just purchased a Kindle from the US. I have a little problem and some googleing led me to your site, which seems like a really great resource for ereader owners. It would be simple awesome if you could help me out with this.

The thing is, I want to be able to buy books like I am a customer located in the US. The prices are cheaper and the selection is way better. I'm trying to figure out what sort of measures I have to undertake so I won't get stopped for not being in my registered country.

I had my Kindle sent to a friend of mine in the US who is bringing it to me this weekend, so I already have a US address. I thought that would be enough, but as I got the registered country error after a few purchases on amazon, I figured amazon must be checking my IP. Would having a US address + a US VPN proxy be enough to access the US store? I also heard that if my Kindle is outside of the US and I send books directly to it, that amazon will pick up its location. Does amazon check credit cards' location as well? Will I have to use a US credit card, or does a gift card suffice?

Sorry if this seems confusing, but I tried to make it as clear as possible. I also searched your forums for some advice and found some, but not enough.

Thanks for reading!
Bölverkur is offline   Reply With Quote