Thread: conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MobileRead is located in Canada, hence the books located on our server are subject to Canadian copyright law (as the notice states). We also have a file server in the US, for those relatively small number of books which are in the public domain in the US, but not in Canada. The book you have found is such a book.

MR is a strictly "legit" site; we do not encourage or condone piracy, and all our books are hosted entirely legally. However, they may or may not be legal for you to download; it's your responsibility to check whether what you wish to download is in the public domain in your country.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Harry;
First, not for a minute was I intimating that MR is a less that legal site; I was simply unclear how closely related the ebook repository was with the "official" MR site. More, even if tightly-linked, since it seemed that some/many of the books were actually links to other sites that you could not be expected to police, I did not know the status of the books being linked to. My remarks about not caring were more of a continued reaction to the stupid things Adobe put me through recently WRT DRM on non-windows platforms. I don't care if Adobe ever makes any money from it which is a long-ways from saying piracy is OK. WRT the links, what I sort of meant was, when you go to say Gutenberg, you know every work on that site is a PD book; when you go to the creative commons site you know what the license is there. I just didn't know what the blanket/official license was here.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote