Tablet PC - has anybody tried it
Has anybody used tablet pc type form factor for reading eBooks and esp. PDF papers?
What I'm after is something that helps in my research and reading workflow, but most ebook readers are nowhere near offering these:
- high res (1280x800 minimu, pref. higher)
- can make notes on PDF files and save those to PDFs (note layer)
- ability to "find inside PDFs" for all the PDFs on the device (i.e. contents indexed)
- ideally support for some reference management (like Zotero inside Firefox)
- djvu, epub, rtf, doc and html support a bonus
- a pen interface is a big plus
I can do all this on my laptop, but the scree is vertical, the weight is n. 2.5kg, it gets hot and runs out of battery very fast.
Also, if I do this on my desktop computer, I have all the power, but no freedom to move and I'm tied to my desk.
Out of the current ones shipping, Panasonic Let's Note CF-C1 has most of these and weighs 1.5kg. Sure, it's heavy, but at least it's a tablet with a pen and doesn't weigh 3kg and the battery is rated at 10hrs (I'm guessing 8 would be doable, which is enough).
However, at 2300EUR it's a bit too steep to mail order and just try it out, if it works or not.
So, has anybody tried going this route, using a tablet pc for research reading and note taking?
Also, if anybody knows of tablet pcs still being manufactured / sold that have a slightly higher resolution, I'd love to get some links on those.