View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #85
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
agreed. I wish Kobo wouldn't try to match Amazon at their game and end up putting out an inferior clone for 10 bucks more.

I'd rather they concentrated on making a 99 dollar reader that works well. no wireless, etc.

but I guess that was sorta their initial approach when they came in at 150 when every one else was over 200. then they got kneecapped by the Kindle price drop

there may just not be a viable way forward for them. I sure don't think this has a chance
There are plenty of ereaders without wireless getting close to the 99 dollar mark. The initial reviews of the Kobo was the complaint that there was no wireless, so it appears Kobo is answering the call. I for one feel wireless is great, especially for people like me who don't run Win/Mac so don't have access to updated supported desktop software to sync my ereader. I have had a Kindle for 2 weeks now the wife 5. Hers has never been plugged into a computer, mine has once just to see how Calibre interacts with it. Seriously, I'd be happy to pay the little extra for wireless.

It would be nice if the wifi Kobo would allow for syncing with multiple kobo supported/partnered ebook stores. Here in Aus I can buy from Kobo, Borders Australia and Angus & Robertson. They are all interconnected but I have found at times there is a varying price between identical books. Being able to buy a Kobo and have it sync with those 3 stores would be great.

Am I considering a new Kobo? Yes. Do I need it? No. But I am a geek and the number of freebies I have got from Kobo has outweighed the price of a Kobo, so indirectly I can justify its purchase. The main reason I opted for a K3 over the existing Kobo was no real supported way of buying ebooks and putting them on the Kobo through a Linux OS. The Kindle I can download the ebook for the Kindle and drag'n drop if I choose, but I just use the wifi. Kobo have the desktop app unofficially around for Linux, but who knows when that will cease, ADE needs to be installed via wine and is reasonably reliable but still..... Wifi would solve interoperability issues between the device, purchased ebooks and a Linux OS.

The thing is, for $10 more people may be more inclined to go with it. That small amount and the ability to wireless sync purchased ebooks from Kobo (like Kindle and Amazon) but the freedom to buy from any ebook store that uses ADE.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote