View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
As for Calibre doing it automatically, I don't see how. I made a test ; I sent the thumbnail using the proper file hierarchy in the thumbnails folder right after I sent an eBook (that folder had to be created, as the Sony Reader will only do so after you disconnect it from the computer) and the Reader ended up creating its own anyway. So I had to re-connect and save that new thumbnail again.

Which means that even if Calibre were to send thumbnails alongside the eBooks using the proper structure, the Reader would still re-create them when disconnected.
Sonys are extremely particular about dates. Probably it checks the date of the thumbnail against the date of the book file and some magic date in its database. If it doesn't smell right , it is rebuilt.

You can't imagine the trouble we have had defeating the Sony's date checking for books. It sometimes knows about timezones (how? unclear), and changes the comparison of the DB date against the file date. Sometimes it uses the tz variable in the database, and sometimes it doesn't.

In fact, I am surprised that your new thumbnails survive a plug/unplug.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote